Twisty’s All-Purpose Raw Vegetable Slurry
1001 Uses Around Home, Boat, or Office
“What’s for dinner, Auntie?”
“Yay! Our happiness is complete!”
• Pour it in a glass for the best homemade V-8 juice ever.
• Salad dressing.
• Add (quite a lot of) vodka and a lime squeeze for bloody Marys, or tequila and a lime squeeze for Sandanistas.
• Pico de gallo (salsa picada): instead of blending the vegetables, substitute cilantro for parsley, leave out the vinegar, and chop’em up rough.
• Gazpacho: instead of liquefying, coarsely chop everything in a food processor, add a swig of olive oil, and eat very cold with garlic croutons.
• Leave out the cuke and vinegar, warm the slurry gently, reduce it a bit, stir in a little heavy cream, saute a few shrimp or chunks of eggplant in olive oil, and pour over conchigliette.
• For tomato-basil “bisque” add fresh basil, let it whirl around in the VitaMix for several minutes until warm, ladle it out, and dollopize with crème fraîche.
• Or just serve it cold in chilled bowls, olive oil drizzle optional.
2 racquetball-sized tomatoes (left whole if liquefying for “bisque” or smoothie, otherwise, seeded and diced)
1/2 cucumber, peeled & seeded
handful bell pepper (red and/or green), roughly chopped
chile (fresno, jalapeño, etc) to taste
orange slice, 1″ thick
small handful flat-leaf parsley
1 large ring of raw onion
1 clove garlic
1 tsp blood orange and/or red wine vinegar (omit if adding cream)
1/4 cup orange juice or water
Buy a blender. Put everything in this blender. Blend until solids become liquid. Refrigerate 2 hours. Flavor improves overnight. Makes about 1 1/2 – 2 cups.